Site Map
 

 

 

 

The United Methodist Men

Of

Sharp Street Memorial United Methodist Church

 

On April 16, 1916, under the pastoral leadership of Reverend McHenry Naylor, the men of Sharp Street Memorial were recognized and chartered No. 1705 of the Methodist Brotherhood.  The President was Brother Wilford M. Wilson.  They remained the same until the Conference Meeting of 1941-1942 when it was decided to change the name from the Methodist Brotherhood to the United Methodist Men.

 

           The United Methodist Men of Sharp Street Memorial United Methodist Church, led by their president, Brother John Miller in 1943, held monthly meetings in each otherís homes. The wife of the host would usually serve refreshments at those gatherings. The pastor was the very able Reverend Kelly L. Jackson.

 

            Their first Menís Day Celebration, billed as The Methodist Men Rally 1943, was very successful.  The men were divided into two teams; the Blue Team was led by Brother Ernest Queen and the Grey Team was captained by Brother Rogers.  The group that raised the most money for the ministries of the church was victorious.  Among the members who participated in the first rally were Brother Ernest Dennis, Brother Henry Lee, Brother Charles Fletcher, Brother Sam Wilson, Brother William Ross, II, Brother Milton Carr, Brother William Harris, Brother Walter Jefferson, Brother Clinton Plummer, Brother Clarence Gardner, Brother Bernard Whiting, Brother Roland Hall, Brother William Gibson and Brother Henry Wilson.

 

            The United Methodist Men of Sharp Street Memorial United Methodist Church, have been blessed with great leaders in their presidents, starting with Brother John Miller, followed by Brother Cyrus Stevens, Brother Ernest Queen, Brother Cleve Thompson, Brother William Freeman, Brother Dallas Barclift, Brother E. Jerry Williams, Brother Elliott Nelson, Brother Samuel W. Moore, Brother Samuel A. Gary and presently Brother Samuel W. Moore.