Site Map

Our History

The African American Ministers in the Methodist Church can trace their roots back to the early days of Methodism in America when Harry Hosier, preacher, traveled with Bishop Frances Asbury.  However, African American pastors were not licensed to preach until 1800.  From 1802 until 1864 African American congregations were under the jurisdiction of white pastors.

Sharp Street Church was established in 1787 as the first African American Methodist congregation in Baltimore City.  Over two centuries ago a group of proud persons found their dignity compromised in a racially divided church.  The African Americans members left to form a separate fellowship.  Under the leadership of Jacob Forte, the "Colored Methodist Society" was formed.  The members met in their homes to worship until they acquired a building.  In 1802, land was conveyed to the Trustees of the "Colored Society," and they occupied the first building to become the Church at 112-116 Sharp Street, hence the name Sharp Street Church.

Even though this group agonized over independence from the main body of the Methodist Episcopal Church, they chose to remain an organic part of the Mother Church.  Jacob Fortie and his followers continued to interact with Bishop Asbury.

The present edifice was erected and occupied in 1898.  To accommodate a membership migrating to North Baltimore, the Reverend Daniel Hayes and the Trustees of Sharp Street Memorial United Methodist Episcopal Church purchased a lot on Dolphin and Etting Streets to build the first church for an African American congregation in Baltimore, Maryland.